Sunday, August 14, 2011

Primal-ish Vacation in L.A.

My hubby and I just got back from a vacation to Los Angeles.   We had a wonderful time.  I think we may actually move there in the not too distant future.  I would love to be closer to my parents and family (San Diego area).  I'd love to have hubby closer to the entertainment industry (that's his thing) and I'd love to be out of this terrible Chicago weather.  Sure, it's summer time and I can't really complain about it at the current moment, but here's the thing: When it's winter it is dreadful and all you can think about; when it's summer, the thought that winter is coming is dreadful and all you can think about.  At least that's the way it is for me.  It's sort of like looming darkness at the horizon.  But the very best, most wonderful part of possibly living in So. Cal. is the availability of fresh "beyond organic" veggies, grass fed/free range beef, poultry, eggs, and fresh seafood!  I mean, really... they even have "fast food" that is organic (I LOVE TenderGreens - more about that later).  So anyway, I'd like to move out there sooner than later.

While on our trip, we (did i tell you hubby is doing this too??!) were able to keep pretty darn close to our paleo/primal food preference during our trip.  Sure, it's probably because we were in one of the most image-conscious cities in the U.S., but still.  We found a great place for breakfast called Square One Dining.  We actually ended up going there for breakfast twice.  I got the skirt steak (grass fed?) and eggs (farm fresh), with organic mixed green salad with a balsamic vinaigrette and split an organic fruit bowl with the hubby.  We came back the next day for an exact repeat performance.  Now, this wasn't cheap (although looking back, we both agreed we could have totally skipped the $7.50 fruit bowl), but it was delicious.  Total yum-athon.

On my second day, we actually decided to drive down to Encinitas to visit some friends and visit with my parents.  For lunch with my parents, we went to King's Fish House.  I had the grilled Atlantic Sea Scallops and veggies and a side salad.  Not too bad at all!  The veggies in the meal were not organic, but I prefer not to be too overly picky about my veggies.  Quite delish, actually.

For dinner that night, our friends took us to an AMAZING Peruvian place called El Q'ero Restaurant.  OH MY GOSH!!!!  The food was so yum.  We all split an appetizer of quinoa breaded scallops.  (Perhaps I have an addiction to scallops?  Knowing is half the battle.  I think I get it from my mom.)  For my entree, I had the "appetizer special" of diced Ahi Tuna and Watermelon ceviche in a soy vinaigrette topped with tiny bits of basil and served over a piece of boston lettuce.  Now for all of you who are not into raw fish: I AM WITH YOU!  Seriously, not really a fan.  Kinda grosses me out.  But I decided to try this and it was ABSOLUTELY THE BEST THING I HAVE HAD IN A LONG TIME (and I eat at some amazing restaurants).  So yeah.  I wish I could have it again, but alas, I do not live in San Diego or even California: YET.

Then there is my all time favorite "fast food" organic, local restaurant: Tender Greens.  If you live in L.A. or San Diego and you HAVEN'T been there... turn of your computer and GO RIGHT NOW.  Totally delicious.  Did I mention I had them cater my wedding in San Diego (and everyone was amazed at how great the food was?!)?  Ok, so the meat is all local as are the organic veggies.  Everything is tasty and fresh.  We ate at the one in Downtown Hollywood 2 times on our trip (only 4 days).  It really is that good.  Go there, and let me know what you think.  I love their "Backyard Steak" salad with red and golden beets, butter lettuce and radishes, and their home brewed iced tea (is it passion fruit maybe? -- not sweetened, but so good).  Also, check out their "side" of roasted veggies!

Tender Greens: Backyard Steak Salad and a half side of roasted veggies

Last but not least, if you have ever had the issue of lettuce going bad in your veggie drawer at home, try prepping your lettuce and sealing it into mason jars for easy travel and it'll stay fresh longer (they say up to 9 days!).  Check it out on lifehacker here.

Um, also, P.S. I actually LOST weight on my vacation.  It doesn't get much better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment