Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Beginning to Lose it

It has been a little over 6 weeks, since I began eating primally.  So far, so good, I'd say.  Although the weight loss has slowed down, I'm still losing, which keeps me motivated.  Even on the days when I weigh myself and I realize I may have done more of a 60/40 than an 80/20 (primal/non-primal ratio), I still feel better than I have in a very long time.

It seems to be less of a struggle to go out to eat than I was expecting, which probably isn't the greatest thing ever: I should definitely be eating at home more.  The price tag of fresh veggies and meat is much more expensive on the "outside" and I've found very few places that serve grass-fed meat.  I have been bringing my lunch with me to work, which is not nearly as social as going out with a group to a local fast or slow food eatery, but I feel better by using the groceries I've bought for the week and not spending extra cash.

Some of my recent foodie loves:

  • Grass-fed Mozzarella balls (about an inch in diameter - they come packaged in water) drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  I know this would be yummy with tomatoes and basil, but even by it self, it must be tasted to be believed!  
  • Grass-fed skirt steak marinated and then grilled to perfection
  • Lunch meat (Whole Foods roasted turkey, roast beef, or Applegate salami or ham) wrapped in a delicious, fresh piece of red leaf or romaine lettuce
  • Coconut cream (take a can of real, full-fat coconut milk and put it in the fridge for an hour or so - we just have the A/C on in the house and that is enough - and then open the can and scoop out the soft, fluffy, coco-licious cream at the top) over frozen cherries
  • Bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon, BACON! Yeah.
  • Olives
  • Mild Kim-chi
  • Farmers Market fruit, for when I need something sweet
  • Grass-fed, Beef summer sausage
Chorizo Buttered Veggies (with a bit of Chalula Hot Sauce)

Bacon Buttered Veggies
Last night I made myself a new amazing veggified bacon meal.  It's also amazing with chorizo and chalula hot sauce - don't skimp on the butter!  Here's the recipe (for 1 serving):

1 slice of raw bacon chopped up into medium sized pieces
1 big bunch of fresh veggies cleaned and roughly chopped (I used long purple beans (they called them purple asparagus's at the farmers market, but I think that's bologna), green beans, wax (yellow) beans, kale, and some crazy type of spinach where you can also eat the stems (it's purple and green))
Grass-fed butter (Kerry Gold, anyone?!) to taste (I probably used about 4 tablespoons)

Start with a cast iron pan on medium heat.  Once its toasty, throw in your bacon pieces and mix around until they are cooked through and a little crispy.  Then add about a tablespoon of butter (or two if you're in the mood) to the pan and let it melt.  As soon as it is melted, toss the veggies into the pan and toss to cover with bacon pieces and melted butter.  Add more butter if you feel like it.  Toss and wait a minute and a half and then toss again, on and on until your veggies are cooked to your liking.  I added some pepper and truffle salt.  It was yummy.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment