Wednesday, April 27, 2011

If it's free, it's not for me

Recently I've been attempting to be more intentional about what I consume.  I've tried to cut back on the meat, processed foods, and sweets I eat.  I'm not really eliminating these things from my diet, just eating less of them or better quality (grass-fed, wild, or pastured meat; lower-processed foods; not having dessert at EVERY meal).  It does take some will-power, but the key is knowing -- believing -- that those things really aren't good for your and that we, as a society, have been tricked (marketing much?)  into wanting, must-having, and consuming these easy, fast and convenient food-stuffs.  I'm sure that marketing brain-washing is not news to you.



The other, more difficult task I attempt is to limit my consumables beyond food.  Clothes, books, junk: I've got lots; so much stuff that doesn't have a home in my house and just collects dust.  I have more moments of weakness than I'd like to admit, but I try not to buy things that I really really don't need.  I'll take a day or two and think it over.  If I STILL want the "thing" I'll buy it.

In today's "throw-away" culture, there is so much stuff that we don't use.  Perhaps it worked 2 times and then it breaks, so we toss it and get a new one.  Perhaps we buy things thinking "I'll need this some day," and then it sits in our parents attic for decades (sorry mom and dad!).  We have a lot of things that feel important when we are at the cash register.  They feel like a good deed for your life.  They give you a great feeling of opportunity or inspiration.

I aim to also be more intentional about what I take for free.  I read somewhere (Flexitarian Diet, perhaps?) that a key to keeping to a healthy lifestyle it to say "NO" to free food.  There is free food all around us.  Samples at the grocery store, bagels and donuts at the office, candies in a bowl at a local retailer, cookies at social gatherings; everyone loves to give you free food.  In reality, these foods (in portions other than a nibble, and really, who can take just a bite?) aren't really the greatest things for you.  Usually they are highly processed, cheap, and high in sugar/fat/chemicals.  It's hard to turn away free food, but if you can do it, it may make you a healthier and more aware consumer.

No comments:

Post a Comment