Monday, September 12, 2011

Dodging Bullets

I am 29.  I am 5'7".  I am over weight.  Starting at almost 215 lbs., I needed a change.  I felt tired all the time.  I had high cholesterol:  late last year when I gave blood, my cholesterol was 243 (total cholesterol).  I had pretty consistent moderate acne from the time I was about 12 years old.  I had exercise induced asthma, so I didn't like to work out hard, in fear that it might flare up.  I wasn't fitting into my clothes.  

Makin' my flexitarian Beet Chips.  March 26, 2011

But I love food.  So of course I'm fat, right?!  Everyone knows that if you eat too much good, tasty food, you're gonna gain weight.  And if you're lazy or you don't like to sweat it out at the gym, well, those pounds aren't going to lose themselves! 

I was very frustrated.  It came to a point where I felt like I was addicted to food.  I couldn't control my weight and I felt guilty and was extremely hard on myself.  I knew I couldn't fix it with a diet.  I've been on and off and on and off of low-fat diets for pretty much as long as I can remember.  Calorie restriction really worked, but here's the rub: the second you go back to your normal life, you gain it back (sometimes you gain more).  It was a terrible feeling.  I couldn't think of what to do.  

Another angle of the old me.  Not a pretty picture.    April 10, 2011

I researched food addiction on google and complained to my mom on the phone.  Being the child of 2 weight-watchers "lifers" I knew what was expected of me if I wanted to lose weight, but it wasn't working.  I had read Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food" and was so ready to get healthy and as he says, "Eat Food.  Not too much.  Mostly Vegetables."  So I dug in a little deeper.  I got into the "Meatless Mondays" and crawled through "The Omnivore's Dilemma" (great book, just a bit of a long read for me).  I ate healthy whole wheat bread and focused on adding whole grains and beans to my meals.  I ate a ton of veggies.  I cut way back on my meat consumption.

And nothing happened.  Sure, I felt like I was eating more cleanly - focusing on "from scratch" meals and avoiding some of the aisles of the grocery store.  Then I looked into becoming a "Flexitarian."  It made so much sense.  I could eat mostly veggies and pasta and beans and grains and cheese and I could eat meat when I was in the mood.  I bought cook books and tried out some delicious recipes, but I still wasn't really having much of an improvement on my health.  

The old me: March 2nd, 2011


Then one day, while randomly listening to a new podcast I stumbled across on Stitcher Radio, Underground Wellness, I heard Chris Kresser talk about how grains and legumes and processed food wasn't very good for you.  I was in disbelief.  I'd heard that people with Celiac disease couldn't eat wheat, but normal people are fine, right?!  Wrong.  Many people with a more mild sensitivity to gluten don't even know they are gluten sensitive!  

It was the first time I had ever heard of paleo, and I was curious to hear more.  I started to listen to "Everyday Paleo" and "Latest in Paleo."  I couldn't get enough of this idea that was blowing my mind. ITS NOT FAT, MAKING US FAT!  ITS JUNK CARBOHYDRATES, SUGAR, AND SEED OILS!  We are not broken by default.  Medicine should be our last option, not our first!  Nutrition is so important!

It has now been 2 months since I began my primal lifestyle.  While reading "The Primal Blueprint," I eased into my new eating during my vacation to San Francisco and Yosemite.  At first it was weird; almost too easy.  Sure I wasn't perfect, but it was totally do-able.  I basically just focused on only eating meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, and some dairy.  

I can't even explain how great I feel.  The first month I dropped 10 lbs!  After that the weight isn't falling off nearly as quickly (I'm sure it is because I probably consume a bit too much dairy and fruit - both will raise your blood sugar much more than you realize), but I feel amazing.  There are times when I will go out for a walk and decide to do a quick sprint.  Just for fun.  And sure, when I slow down after my sprint, I have to catch my breath, but I don't have my asthma any more.  My face is clearer than it was when I was 12.  I'm not starving all the time, thinking about food every minute of the day, like I used to do.  I'm ok if I have to go a few extra hours without a meal.  I sleep more soundly and wake up to no alarm clock.  

I know I still have a way to go in my efforts to lose weight.  But I'll tell you one thing, I really don't think I'll be going back to the Standard American Diet anytime soon.  I feel healthy.  And I LOVE eating grass-fed steaks, pastured eggs, whole organic milk, fresh organic fruits and veggies and so much more.  

A delicious Primal Meal: Romain Lettuce with Chimay Cheese, Rotisserie Chicken, Crispy Bacon, and Beef Liver Pate.


My father is a non-insulin dependent diabetic.  Both of his parents had diabetes.  I knew, without going to a fortune teller, what my future would hold if I couldn't turn my health around.  

I feel like I've actually dodged a bullet.  After 1 more month living the primal lifestyle, I'll probably go in for a doctor's appointment and have my blood drawn and see where my numbers are at and hopefully confirm my suspicion:  I am getting healthier, I am dodging the bullet of diabetes, and I am adding years to my life.  

Me and my cubby hubby pre-primal: June 26, 2011


P.S.  My hubby has been eating primal for only about a month and a half and has lost 25 lbs.!  This is such a gift we are giving ourselves and each other.  It is a gift of health, and a longer life together.  :)

Hopefully I'll have some great "in-progress" pictures soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment